- •COVID-19 has been found to have many neuro-ophthalmologic associations, including cranial nerve palsies, Miller Fisher and Guillain-Barré syndromes, optic neuritis, intracranial hypertension, and sequelae from cerebrovascular events.
- •Management of neuro-ophthalmology patients during the COVID-19 pandemic has brought about interesting discussions, including use of immunosuppressive agents, increasing usage of telehealth, and prone positioning as it relates to ischemic optic neuropathy.
- •More research needs to be done to better characterize the relationship between COVID-19 and rare neuro-ophthalmologic presentations.
Cranial nerve palsies
- Fitzpatrick J.C.
- Comstock J.M.
- Longmuir R.A.
- et al.
Guillain-Barré and Miller Fisher syndrome
- Conde Cardona G.
- Quintana Pájaro L.D.
- Quintero Marzola I.D.
- et al.
- Sun L.
- Hymowitz M.
- Pomeranz H.D.
Clinics care points
- •Optic nerve and other cranial nerves can be affected in COVID-19 infections, but these cranial neuropathies may spontaneously recover.
- •Clinicians should have a high index of suspicion for central venous sinus thrombosis in patients at risk for COVID-19 infections, especially in patients with atypical features for idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
- •While tele-ophthalmology cannot replace in person examinations, its use in the appropriate clinical settings can improve patient access while minimizing risk of exposure to the patient and clinician.
- COVID-19 and thrombotic or thromboembolic disease: implications for prevention, antithrombotic therapy, and follow-up.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 2950-2973
- Thrombocytopenia is associated with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections: a meta-analysis.Clin Chim Acta. 2020; 506: 145-148
Lippi G, Favaloro EJ. D-dimer is Associated with Severity of Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Pooled Analysis. Thromb Haemost 2020;120(5):876-8.
- Prominent changes in blood coagulation of patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020; 58: 1116-1120
- Laboratory abnormalities in patients with COVID-2019 infection.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020; 58: 1131-1134
- Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 475-481
- Diagnostic utility of clinical laboratory data determinations for patients with the severe COVID-19.J Med Virol. 2020; 92: 791-796
- Large-vessel stroke as a presenting feature of Covid-19 in the young.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: e60
- High incidence of venous thromboembolic events in anticoagulated severe COVID-19 patients.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1743-1746
- Neurologic manifestations of hospitalized patients with coronavirus disease 2019 in Wuhan, China.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77: 683-690
- Coagulation abnormalities and thrombosis in patients with COVID-19.Lancet Haematol. 2020; 7: e438-e440
- The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV2 may play a role in the respiratory failure of COVID-19 patients.J Med Virol. 2020; 92: 552-555
- Isolated post SARS-CoV-2 diplopia.J Neurol. 2020; 267: 3128-3129
- Third cranial nerve palsy presenting with unilateral diplopia and strabismus in a 24-year-old woman with COVID-19.Am J Case Rep. 2020; 21: e925897
- Cranial nerve III palsy in the setting of COVID 19 infection.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1097/WNO.0000000000001160
- The 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia with onset of oculomotor nerve palsy: a case study.J Neurol. 2020; 267: 1550-1553
- Bilateral trochlear nerve palsy due to cerebral vasculitis related to COVID-19 infection.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2020; 78: 385-386
- Acute abducens nerve palsy in a patient with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).J AAPOS. 2020; 24: 216-217
- COVID-19 presenting with ophthalmoparesis from cranial nerve palsy.Neurology. 2020; 95: 221-223
- Isolated cranial nerve 6 palsy in 6 patients with COVID-19 infection.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 520-522
- Neurological manifestations and neuro-invasive mechanisms of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus type 2.Eur J Neurol. 2020; 27: 1578-1587
- Cranial neuropathies and COVID-19: neurotropism and autoimmunity.Neurology. 2020; 95: 195-196
- Prevalence and duration of acute loss of smell or taste in COVID-19 patients.J Korean Med Sci. 2020; 35: e174
- Guillain-Barré syndrome associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection: causality or coincidence?.Lancet Neurol. 2020; 19: 383-384
- Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barré syndrome.J Neuroimmunol. 1999; 100: 74-97
- Guillain-Barré syndrome during SARS-CoV-2 pandemic: a case report and review of recent literature.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2020; 25: 204-207
- Miller Fisher syndrome and polyneuritis cranialis in COVID-19.Neurology. 2020; 95: e601-e605
- Guillain-Barré syndrome: the first documented COVID-19-triggered autoimmune neurologic disease: more to come with myositis in the offing.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020; 7: e781
- Panuveitis and optic neuritis as a possible initial presentation of the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2020; 28: 922-925
- Coronavirus disease 2019-associated ocular neuropathy with panuveitis: a case report.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 139: 247-249
- Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated optic neuritis and myelitis in COVID-19.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 398-402
- COVID-19-induced acute bilateral optic neuritis.J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2020; 8 (2324709620976018)
- Multiple sclerosis following SARS-CoV-2 infection.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 45: 102377
- Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after SARS-CoV-2 infection.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020; 7: e797
- Can the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) affect the eyes? A review of coronaviruses and ocular implications in humans and animals.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2020; 28: 391-395
- Neurotropism of SARS-CoV 2: mechanisms and manifestations.J Neurol Sci. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2020.116824
- Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in childhood: epidemiologic, clinical and laboratory features.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004; 23: 756-764
- MBP-PLP fusion protein induced EAE in C57BL/6 mice.J Neuroimmunol. 2006; 177: 99-111
- COVID-19 and benign intracranial hypertension: a case report.Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2020; 53: e20200325
- Pseudotumor cerebri syndrome associated with MIS-C: a case report.Lancet. 2020; 396: 532
- Isolated intracranial hypertension associated with COVID-19.Cephalalgia. 2020; 40: 1452-1458
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in the COVID-19 pandemic.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 457-462
- Cerebral venous thrombosis: a typical presentation of COVID-19 in the young.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020; 29: 104989
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis as a presentation of COVID-19.Eur J Case Rep Intern Med. 2020; 7: 001691
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in COVID-19 infection: a case series and review of the literature.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2021; 30: 105434
- Negative impact of COVID-19 lockdown on papilloedema and idiopathic intracranial hypertension.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2020-325519
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome in patients with COVID-19.J Neurol Sci. 2020; 416: 117019
- Transient cortical blindness in COVID-19 pneumonia; a PRES-like syndrome: case report.J Neurol Sci. 2020; 413: 116858
- Hallucinatory Palinopsia in COVID-19-induced posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 523-526
- Eye protection for patients with COVID-19 undergoing prolonged prone-position ventilation.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; : e204988https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.4988
- Ocular complications in the prone position in the critical care setting: the COVID-19 pandemic.J Intensive Care Med. 2020; 28 (885066620959031)
- Immunosuppression during the COVID-19 pandemic in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders patients: a new challenge.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 41: 102097
- Risk of COVID-19 infection in MS and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020; 7: e787
- Changes in patient and physician attitudes resulting from COVID-19 in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder and multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 42: 102259
- Tele-neuro-ophthalmology: vision for 20/20 and beyond.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 378-384
- The virtual neurologic exam: instructional videos and guidance for the COVID-19 Era.Can J Neurol Sci. 2020; 47: 598-603
- Tele-neuro-ophthalmology during the age of COVID-19.J Neuroophthalmol. 2020; 40: 292-304
- Neuro-ophthalmology in the era of COVID-19: future implications of a public health crisis.Ophthalmology. 2020; 127: e72-e74